Monday, May 11, 2009

the graduate part I

My brother-in-law (we'll call him bil for short) is graduating from Baylor University this coming weekend! We actually get to go, and I am so excited! To be honest, I'm not excited to actually go to the graduation, but getting to see family and going to Texas is what really excites me. Well, as a gift, I've decided to give him some Baylor themed cookies. (because every graduate needs cookies.) The cookies are the No Fail sugar cookies from the mother's day batch. I simply made all of the cookies, and then froze the 12 I am saving for him. Just take the cookies out a day or so before decorating them, so that they can thaw, and you're good to go! So anyhow, I am experimenting using chocolate instead of royal icing to create the designs for the cookies. So, for the chocolate, I use these chocolate waifers or candy melts. Put about 30 or so in a microwave safe bowl and nuke them for about 30 seconds. Take it out after 15s stir, and put back in for the remaining time. Then just stir until melted. (if its still not melted, or you want to use more, just heat in 30 second increments) I then place the melted chocolate in a decorating bag and away we can go!
So, now we have chocolate in a bag and we're ready to go, so all you need to do, is outline your image with the chocolate on wax paper. In this case, I'm doing the BU (I'll also have other images, but they're not done yet)

Now that you've got the outline, you need to let it dry for a few minutes, and then fill. Now, the Baylor logo is gold with green fill, so that's what I'm doing, but of course you can do whatever you want!
And there you have it. You let these dry fully (I'd let sit overnight) and then gently peel off the wax paper (dental floss helps with the delicate designs) and place. I'll use royal icing as my "glue" on the cookie, but these can sit up on frosting, you can make abstract designs with chocolate and garnish a cake with them. The possabilities are endless. If you notice, the bottom emblem looks kind of lumpy. All you need is a clean cheap paintbrush and a little water. Just gently go over the lumps or bumps with that to smooth! :)

1 comment: